Here are some tips on how to make the most of your experience when your sibling is an inpatient.
- You are part of your sibling’s care team and your contributions matter!
- Your sibling might feel lonely in this new environment, so think of fun activities you can do together. Examples: Board games, movies, or going for walks.
- Take advantage of therapeutic recreation to spend time with your sibling outside of the hospital room. Examples: Pet night, movie night, or inpatient swimming.
- Help your sibling decorate his/her room with pictures, posters, and arts & crafts.
- Talk to your sibling about his/her progress. Even on difficult days, there is always something he/she is succeeding at!
- Sometimes you might feel overwhelmed; it’s always good to talk to someone about how you feel (like other siblings or your parents).
- The 3rd floor Family Lounge has a computer available 24 hours a day
- The Grocery Foundation Family Resource Centre on the 1st floor has computers available Monday–Friday. Please check the hours outside of the Family Resource Centre!
- WIFI password: hollandbloorview
- Please use headphones when watching/listening to something in the room if someone is sleeping.
- Garden Grill Café and Tim Hortons (1st floor) are open Monday–Friday. Please check the hours outside of the cafeteria!
- Vending machines are on the 1st and 3rd floors by the main elevators
- You can always try ordering from UberEats, DoorDash or Ritual (if you can pick it up!)
Do you have a suggestion or resource for this tipsheet? We always welcome new ideas.
Let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org
This list was created by a Family Leader and sibling Hanae Davis. It was last updated by a Family Support Specialist in July 2023.