You can make a big impact as a Holland Bloorview Family Leader.
There are so many ways to get involved. We will work with you to find a volunteer role that fits your interests and schedule. You can participate in both research and hospital projects, in person and from home.
- Be an adult (18+) family member of a Holland Bloorview client (current or past) or an adult former client of Holland Bloorview
- Work well with others, respect diversity and differing opinions
- Be interested in partnering with staff and other families and clients and ready to share your lived experience with childhood disability to help others
- Be open to the ideas of others
- Maintain respect for privacy (confidentiality)
- Be prepared to complete the training and adhere to the policies for hospital volunteers
The Family Leader application process includes the following steps.
- Submit the application form and two references.
- Attend a virtual group onboarding, which covers the different roles Family Leaders can have.
- Participate in an interview with program staff, so we can learn about your experiences and the type of Family Leader roles you are interested in.
- Complete/submit all documentation and training required by Volunteer Resources.
- COVID-19 VACCINATION POLICY: Holland Bloorview has implemented a vaccine mandate policy, in unison with The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids) and CHEO. The vaccine mandate applies to staff, volunteers, and learners. For more information, please click here.
Family Leaders have:
- Free parking while volunteering onsite
- Free childcare (ages 2.5 years and older) available in the onsite Ronald McDonald Playroom while volunteering onsite
- Access to educational materials, ongoing support and training
- Opportunities to attend hospital special events, workshops and presentations
- Opportunities to network with other Holland Bloorview families
Benefits to being a Family Leader:
- Contribute toward making positive and meaningful change at Holland Bloorview and across the system
- Use your lived experience to help other clients and families and improve the care experience
- Build your knowledge and skills
- Model community involvement and leadership
Benefits for health care professionals working with Family Leaders:
- Improves a health care provider's ability to do their job effectively
- Strengthens relationships between families and health care providers
- Gives new ideas for improving services
- Increases understanding and responsiveness to family needs
Benefits for Holland Bloorview:
- Family Leaders provide new ideas and creative solutions
- They contribute toward the improvement and quality of programs and services
- Increased collaboration between health care professionals, clients and families
Thank you very much for your interest in becoming a Family Leader. We value your commitment to collaborating with Holland Bloorview to offer the best care experience possible to all clients and families and we’re excited to meet with you!
The application includes the following two (2) parts:
- An application form (PDF)
- Two (2) references - Share an online survey link to two people to complete and submit on your behalf. Employers, volunteer supervisors, teachers, community leaders, or other non-family/friends may provide references for you. One (1) of your references can be Holland Bloorview staff.
Electronic submission: You may email your application form to email@example.com
Paper submission: The application form can be delivered in person to main reception or mailed to:
Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Hospital
Attn: The Family Leadership Program
150 Kilgour Road
Toronto, ON M4G 1R8
The two electronic references will be automatically submitted to Volunteer Resources.
We will send an email to confirm we have received your application and two references. Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.