The DAISY (Diseases Attacking the Immune System) award is an international recognition program that honours and celebrates the skillful, compassionate care nurses provide every day. Throughout the year, a Holland Bloorview nurse — nominated by their colleagues, students, volunteers and/or by clients and families—is selected to receive the DAISY award.
A DAISY Award recipient is a nurse who clearly understands our vision of the most meaningful and healthy future for all children, youth and families. Their clinical skills, and their ability to deliver exceptional child and family-centred care, exemplify the kind of nurses our clients, families, and staff recognize as an outstanding role model and leader. Furthermore, they embody the Holland Bloorview values of compassion, equity, courage and resilience, excellence and innovation.
About the DAISY Foundation
The DAISY Foundation was established by the family of J. Patrick Barnes after he died from complications of the auto-immune disease ITP in 1999. During his hospitalization, they deeply appreciated the care and compassion shown to Patrick and his entire family. When he died, they felt compelled to say “thank you” to nurses in a very public way.
Question about the DAISY Award? Please contact Claire Whyte at firstname.lastname@example.org, 416-424-3853.
A nurse who:
- Exemplifies the vision, mission and values of Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Hospital
- Demonstrates extraordinary clinical skills and competencies in the delivery of evidence-based andholistic client care
- Demonstrates professionalism contributing to a work environment that promotes health and healing
- Establishes a collaborative partnership with clients and families, recognizing their unique experiences and needs
- Effectively engages clients and families in in their rehabilitation journey, while being attuned to their unique narratives
- Advocates for patients and families in ways that enable them to make their voices heard
- Contributes to an environment that draws on and amplifies the strengths that clients and families bring in order to provide high-quality and safe care
- Is committed to advancing health equity and practices in a manner that celebrates diversity of community
- Is committed to life-long learning and growth
Any registered nurse, registered practical nurse or nurse practitioner working at Holland Bloorview.