The cleft lip and palate/craniofacial dental program is designed for children and young adults who:
- were born with facial differences (this can include children and young adults who have Down syndrome, cerebral palsy or other conditions)
- have missing teeth or other serious conditions affecting their teeth
- have injuries or tumors that affect their teeth and jaws
To be eligible for funding, an individual must be:
- a resident of Ontario in possession of a valid OHIP number
- diagnosed as having a cleft lip and/or palate, a craniofacial anomaly or other severe dental anomaly
- have sufficient residual craniofacial growth necessary to achieve the maximum potential benefit from a single course of treatment.
In some cases, clients may be eligible for treatment under general anesthesia.
Our services are also offered to siblings of clients.
Our focus is a family centred approach to care that includes assessment, treatment, surveillance, co-ordination of services and follow-up.
The cleft lip and palate/craniofacial team also offers annual cleft lip and palate dental clinics in Timmins, Sudbury, Sault St. Marie and Thunder Bay, Ontario.
A referral is required from either a physician or dentist to access Holland Bloorview’s dental services. Download a referral form or contact dental reception at 416-425-6220, ext. 3465.
Clients and families are responsible for covering cleft lip and palate dental services fees. These fees are not covered by the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP). Services may be covered by private insurance plans, social assistance or the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care's (MOHLTC) Ontario Cleft Lip and Palate/Craniofacial Dental Program.
Please note that patients will need to pay in full at the time of the appointment in order to receive reimbursement from an insurance company. We accept payment in Amex, debit, MasterCard, Visa, cash or cheque. We offer electronic insurance billing directly to the insurance companies, which allows for immediate payment and balance responses.
If you have dental insurance, please bring the follow information with you in order for us to submit your insurance claim or estimate on your behalf:
- Name of the insurance company
- Group or policy number and identification or certificate number
- Birth date of the insured member
The Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care (MOHLTC) has established The Ontario Cleft Lip and Palate/ Craniofacial Dental Program. This program provides financial assistance for the specialized dental needs of affected individuals. To be considered for financial assistance, clients must be a resident of Ontario, possess a valid Health Card Number and be registered with the program prior to their 18th birthday.
The government’s financial assistance program:
- May pay up to 75% of the estimated costs up to a maximum of $30,000
- If you have dental insurance, the payment from the insurance company is the first source of funding applied
- An outline of the anticipated treatment plan and estimated costs must be received and approved in writing by the MOHLTC before the start of treatment
- Routine dental fees such as annual check-ups, fillings, x-rays, scaling, root planning, etc. are not covered under the MOHLTC program
For more information please access:
Some dental treatments can be very costly. Often the $30,000 maximum will not cover all the costs associated with treatment. Our dental specialists can work with you to explore the treatment options available to your child and develop a treatment plan that considers the needs of your child and your budget for this treatment.
Remember to bring:
- The patient's Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) card
- Insurance information
- Any recent x-rays
A dentist will assess the patient for eligibility. The cost of the eligibility appointment will be covered by the Ministry of Health Ontario Cleft Lip and Palate Craniofacial Dental Program.
The cleft lip and palate/craniofacial team hold annual clinics in Timmins, Sudbury, Sault Ste. Marie and Thunder Bay. The dental specialists act as a resource to community professionals and work closely with programs at SickKids regarding clinical care and educational programs for clients and families.
For more information about the Northern Ontario clinics, contact Carmen Bazinet at email@example.com, call 705-675-7614 or 866-354-4162.