What does the research study involve?
- You will be requested to provide clinical information on your child and family
- A small blood sample will be requested from the participant(s) in order to extract DNA (genetic material)
What will the DNA sample be used for?
- To look at the chromosomes for missing or extra genetic material called a copy number variant (CNV) with the focus on the possible identification of genetic variants contributing to ASD in your family.
- To look for smaller changes in genetic material with the focus on the possible identification of the genetic factors contributing to ASD in your family.
What are the potential benefits to our family?
- The high-resolution microarrays used in this research study capture much more information than those currently offered at a diagnostic laboratory.
- Genome sequencing is not currently offered as a hospital-based clinical service and as far as we know can only be freely assessed through research studies.